2018 GL1800 Goldwing
Colour options available:
GL1800 Gold Wing – Candy Argent Red OTR £26,679
GL1800 Gold Wing ‘Tour’ with DCT & air bag– Candy Argent Red/Darkness Black and Darkness Black metallic OTR £29,699
More images at the bottom of the page 🙂
Redesigned from the wheels up, the new Honda Gold Wing is sharper, more compact and lighter; its monumental flat six-cylinder engine now features 4-valves per cylinder and comes equipped with Throttle By Wire, 4 riding modes, Honda Selectable Torque Control and Hill Start Assist. The new chassis features an aluminium beam frame, double wishbone front suspension and single-sided Pro-Arm – damping is electrically adjustable, as is rear spring preload. An electric screen, Smart Key and Apple CarPlay are also standard equipment. An entirely new, third generation of Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission – with seven speeds – will also be available.
- Compact and lighter (48kg lighter)
- Electric windscreen, adjustable for angle & height
- Brand new aluminium beam frame moves the engine & rider forward, improving comfort
- 7″ TFT display for navigation & audio information + apple carplay
- Rear spring preload electrically adjustable
- Smart key control adds convenience for ignition & luggage
The Honda Gold Wing, since its introduction as a naked 1000cc machine in 1975 has always been the ultimate in two-wheeled travel. And it’s a motorcycle that’s been very much on its own journey, growing in physical size and displacement over the decades, all the while creating an enduring and unrivalled reputation for luxury, quality and comfort.
Now, in response to the evolutions of demographics and the motorcycle market, the development team in charge of the bike’s future have decided on a radical departure from what would be a traditional update trajectory.
So for 2018 the GL1800 Gold Wing takes a new direction and is brand new from the wheels-up. It still has an evocative, flat six-cylinder engine that delivers an avalanche of torque and power, and it still remains Honda’s flagship premium tourer, loaded with features that allow two people to ride in style. Yet it’s smaller, much lighter and much more agile – very much a true ‘rider’s motorcycle’.
And as a result the new Gold Wing’s appeal is broader, reaching out to a younger generation of motorcyclists that may have overlooked – or simply not been aware of – the previous design. As happy on an urban commute as it is the open road, the Gold Wing is now a bike for all reasons, rather than just one.
Mr Yutaka Nakanishi, Large Project Leader (LPL) 18YM GL1800 Gold Wing
“We wanted our new Gold Wing to maintain its luxury but to be a much more ‘rounded’ motorcycle. A machine as useful to its owner around the city as it is out on tour. And more exciting to ride than ever. So we started from a blank piece of paper and made the Gold Wing smaller and lighter, and added all the technological hardware and software the modern rider could wish for. Now, just as in 1975, it remains a flagship model for Honda – and we are very proud to start this new chapter for such an important name.”
Sharing a common engine and chassis platform, the new ‘Wing will be available as the base model GL1800 Gold Wing, and as a ‘Tour’ edition with top box, which will also offer a version equipped with DCT and air bag. Depending on the variant, up to 48kg has been saved compared to the previous model.
The engine and chassis have been designed together, to move the riding position forward and create a much more compact motorcycle. Suspension damping can also be adjusted electrically.
Optimised for size, the new flat six-cylinder engine has lost none of its power, torque and addictive delivery. Throttle By Wire has been added, with 4 rider modes; TOUR, SPORT, ECON and RAIN. Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) maintains rear wheel traction while the suspension damping and Combined Brake System (CBS) alter depending on mode selected. Hill Start Assist (HSA) and Idling Stop add ease of use and improve fuel efficiency.
Styling & Equipment
- Taut lines with a contemporary edge show off the motorcycle underneath
- Comfort, heat management and air management vastly improved
- Electric windscreen adjustable for angle and height
- Cruise control operates smoothly via Throttle By Wire (TBW)
- Ample luggage capacity for touring, and top box still takes 2 full-face helmets
- 7-inch TFT display provides navigation and audio information
- Apple CarPlay allows iPhone users to use their device
- Full LED lighting and auto-cancelling indicators
- Smart key control adds convenience for ignition and luggage
The previous Gold Wing featured an expansive design and attitude. The new Gold Wing is a completely different proposition and replaces the relaxed lines of the outgoing model with a more honed, athletic ethos. Key words the Honda team used during development were ‘Refined Shape, Taut Styling’.
Also on display is the motorcycle itself – the double wishbone front suspension, flat six-cylinder engine, exhausts – in all their functional beauty.
- Total weight saving of 48kg compared to the previous model
- Brand new aluminium beam frame moves the engine and rider forward
- Double wishbone front suspension and redesigned Pro-Arm
- Front and rear damping level adjusts to suit riding mode selected
- Rear spring preload electrically adjustable
- Dual-Combined Braking System (D-CBS)
- Extensively revised flat six-cylinder engine 6.2kg lighter, with 4 valves per cylinder
- Throttle By Wire (TBW) adds 4 rider modes to tailor power output
- The rider modes also manage HSTC, suspension damping and brake force
- Idling Stop and Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) on DCT version
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- 6-speed manual gearbox with assist/slipper clutch
Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Third-generation DCT with 7-speeds
- Smoother, quieter with faster upshifts and downshifts
- Walking mode allows machine to ‘creep’ forward or back
- The 4 riding modes also manage DCT for optimised response
Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission is a natural fit for the new Gold Wing engine and development revolved around DCT as the base. This is the third all-new generation of the system and the first to have 7-speeds, specifically designed for long-distance cruising; it’s also extremely smooth and fast shifting. And lighter than the 5-speed manual transmission fitted to the previous design.