2018 GL1800 Goldwing
Colour options available:
GL1800 Gold Wing – Candy Argent Red / Pearl Glare White OTR £26,679
GL1800 Gold Wing ‘Tour’ with DCT & air bag– Candy Argent Red/Darkness Black metallic OTR £29,699
DCT is only available on the Tour model with Airbag.
More images at the bottom of the page
Redesigned from the wheels up, the new Honda Gold Wing is sharper, more compact and lighter; its monumental flat six-cylinder engine now features 4-valves per cylinder and comes equipped with Throttle By Wire, 4 riding modes, Honda Selectable Torque Control and Hill Start Assist. The new chassis features an aluminium beam frame, double wishbone front suspension and single-sided Pro-Arm – damping is electrically adjustable, as is rear spring preload. An electric screen, Smart Key and Apple CarPlay are also standard equipment. An entirely new, third generation of Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission – with seven speeds – will also be available.
- Compact and lighter (48kg lighter)
- Electric windscreen, adjustable for angle & height
- Brand new aluminium beam frame moves the engine & rider forward, improving comfort
- 7″ TFT display for navigation & audio information + apple carplay
- Rear spring preload electrically adjustable
- Smart key control adds convenience for ignition & luggage
Mr Yutaka Nakanishi, Large Project Leader (LPL) 18YM GL1800 Gold Wing
“We wanted our new Gold Wing to maintain its luxury but to be a much more ‘rounded’ motorcycle. A machine as useful to its owner around the city as it is out on tour. And more exciting to ride than ever. So we started from a blank piece of paper and made the Gold Wing smaller and lighter, and added all the technological hardware and software the modern rider could wish for. Now, just as in 1975, it remains a flagship model for Honda – and we are very proud to start this new chapter for such an important name.”
Styling & Equipment
- Taut lines with a contemporary edge show off the motorcycle underneath
- Comfort, heat management and air management vastly improved
- Electric windscreen adjustable for angle and height
- Cruise control operates smoothly via Throttle By Wire (TBW)
- Ample luggage capacity for touring, and top box still takes 2 full-face helmets
- 7-inch TFT display provides navigation and audio information
- Apple CarPlay allows iPhone users to use their device
- Full LED lighting and auto-cancelling indicators
- Smart key control adds convenience for ignition and luggage
The previous Gold Wing featured an expansive design and attitude. The new Gold Wing is a completely different proposition and replaces the relaxed lines of the outgoing model with a more honed, athletic ethos. Key words the Honda team used during development were ‘Refined Shape, Taut Styling’.
Also on display is the motorcycle itself – the double wishbone front suspension, flat six-cylinder engine, exhausts – in all their functional beauty.
- Total weight saving of 48kg compared to the previous model
- Brand new aluminium beam frame moves the engine and rider forward
- Double wishbone front suspension and redesigned Pro-Arm
- Front and rear damping level adjusts to suit riding mode selected
- Rear spring preload electrically adjustable
- Dual-Combined Braking System (D-CBS)
- Extensively revised flat six-cylinder engine 6.2kg lighter, with 4 valves per cylinder
- Throttle By Wire (TBW) adds 4 rider modes to tailor power output
- The rider modes also manage HSTC, suspension damping and brake force
- Idling Stop and Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) on DCT version
- Hill Start Assist (HSA)
- 6-speed manual gearbox with assist/slipper clutch
Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Third-generation DCT with 7-speeds
- Smoother, quieter with faster upshifts and downshifts
- Walking mode allows machine to ‘creep’ forward or back
- The 4 riding modes also manage DCT for optimised response
Honda’s unique Dual Clutch Transmission is a natural fit for the new Gold Wing engine and development revolved around DCT as the base. This is the third all-new generation of the system and the first to have 7-speeds, specifically designed for long-distance cruising; it’s also extremely smooth and fast shifting. And lighter than the 5-speed manual transmission fitted to the previous design.
A completely reimagined and re-engineered chassis delivers agile handling.
A much lighter, all-aluminium die-cast beam frame delivers agile handling, while up front, the long-standing traditional front fork has gone to make way for a double wishbone front suspension system. It’s 30% smoother and delivers a real plush ride wherever you go.
The rear suspension is a redesigned Pro-Arm type – a first for the Honda Gold Wing – and works with the unique Pro-Link arrangement that provides high-level comfort. Rear spring preload is electrically adjustable to suit passenger and luggage with four different settings.
The addictive nature of the Gold Wing’s performance will never change.
A new, horizontally-opposed, 1.833cc flat six engine, punches out an arm-tugging 170Nm of torque @5,500rpm – it’s the very essence of the Honda Gold Wing. Now, 6.2 Kg lighter, with 4 valves per cylinder and Unicam heads, you get strong eager performance – via new Throttle By Wire – out on the highway, as well as a delicate throttle response when you need it around town.
This is the base setting for comfort and power giving you a direct response with default suspension damping and brake force distribution.
This mode serves up strong acceleration, with firmer damping and increased rear brake lever pressure.
With this mode selected you get maximum fuel economy and easy cruising with default damping and brake force to compliment the ride.
Select this to turn everything down to limit the throttle response for total confidence on a wet and slippery road. It works with the default distribution of braking force and much softer suspension damping.
Honda Selective Torque Control in all 4 riding modes, constantly allows controllable acceleration and good traction in slippery conditions. While in SPORT mode it allows maximum acceleration; you can really feel the engine pull – you’ll be hooked from the start
Third generation, 7-speed Dual Clutch Transmission is specifically designed for the Lord of long-distance cruising.
Extremely smooth and fast gear changes, DCT eliminates shift shock and has three modes of operation: MT mode provides you with full control and allows you to change gear manually using the trigger buttons on the handlebar. Automatic D mode is perfect for city and highway rides and delivers much better fuel efficiency. Automatic S mode is sportier and allows the engine to rev higher before shifting up for a more exhilarating ride. It will also shift down sooner for better engine braking.
An intelligent transmission
DCT in D mode works with you and can detect what environment you are riding in; adjusting accordingly between mountain roads and city streets. In addition, the Gold Wing comes with Idling Stop too – engine will stop after 3 seconds, restarting at the touch of the throttle – for improved fuel efficiency. And with Hill Start Assist, there’s no fear of rolling backwards or forwards on an incline – clever.
Start up and power up
We’ve created a unique Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) that works as starter motor as well as a generator; saving weight and energy. The Gold Wing can creep along in walking mode forwards and backwards too, which is ideal for parking