2018 AFRICA TWIN ADVENTURE SPORTS
For 2018 Honda is building on the Africa Twin’s strengths, and its success.
The base model CRF1000L Africa Twin receives a host of detail upgrades to both manual transmission and Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) options that enhance the riding and owning experience, while the new CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure Sports version extends the platform even further into long-range off-road ready territory.
- Pearl Glare white (tricolour)
- SPORTS £12,999
- DCT SPORTS £13,999
- Larger 24.2l fuel tank (5.4l fuel capacity increase) providing a range of over 500km
- Extended fairing protection & taller screen
- Heated grips as standard plus AC charging socket
- The handlebar position in 32.5mm higher & pulled back 5mm
- Stainless steel spokes offer durability & ease of care
- Clocks positioned for good visibility while standing
- Emergency stop signal function for rear indicators and they are auto cancel
- Riders footpegs/pillion footpeg hangers designed for off road use
- New lithium-ion battery is 2.3kg lighter, greater battery life and ability to hold on to charge when left
- Longer travel suspension, taller seat height adjustment – 30mm higher than standard model, flatter seat & more upright riding position
- Throttle by wire brings with it 3 rider modes to tailor engine character and traction
- Power is smooth and consistent with linear torque delivery
For 2018, a modified airbox improves the power unit’s mid-range response, as does a lighter balancer shaft weight. A revised exhaust serves up an even more evocative howl as revs rise and also contributes to the improved performance.
A significant addition to the Africa Twin platform for 2018 is its new Throttle By Wire (TBW) system, which brings with it 3 riding modes to adjust engine character and output to suit riding conditions. Also new is an extended range of Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) input.
The unique DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) version features the standard manual mode – allowing the rider to operate gearshifts through triggers on the left handlebar – and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising whilst S mode gives three different, sportier shift patterns to choose from. The DCT is also fully equipped to operate in an off-road environment and off-road functionality is enhanced by the G button. Pushing the G button in any riding mode modifies the control of the clutch system to give a more direct drive.
The semi-double cradle steel frame provides the ideal balance of high-speed stability matched to genuine off-road ability by combining sheer strength with flexibility. The engine is mounted on 6 engine hangers, which keeps vibration to a minimum, avoiding the need for steering dampers. The new lithium-ion battery saves 2.3kg on the 2017 Africa Twin’s lead unit, and the Adventure Sports version shares several detail changes made to improve the platform’s off-road ability and durability.
Fully adjustable 45mm Showa inverted forks, fully-adjustable rear shock, dual radial-mount Nissin four-piston brake calipers and 310mm ‘wave’ style floating discs are unchanged for 2018. The 21-inch front and 18-inch rear spoked wheels are constructed from stainless steel. In addition to the standard dual-purpose 90 front/150 rear rubber, block tyres are also approved for fitment.
With a larger 24 litre fuel tank, cowl bar, big skid plate and long travel suspension – for plenty of ground clearance – this machine instils great confidence when riding across all kinds of terrain. Add to that DCT, Assist/slipper clutch, TBW, 3 riding modes and heated grips you can explore even further, because True Adventure never stops.
- Longer travel suspension, flatter seat and more upright riding position
- Extended fairing protection and taller screen
- Heated grips as standard plus AC charging socket
- Rider’s footpegs/pillion footpeg hangers designed for off-road use
- Stainless steel spokes offer durability and ease of care
- Emergency Stop Signal function for rear indicators
Engine Management Electronics
- Throttle By Wire (TBW) brings with it 3 rider modes to tailor engine character and traction
- The riding modes are comprised of different levels of Power (P), Engine Braking (EB) and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
- HSTC now has 7 levels and OFF
- New intake design and exhaust aid mid-range response
- New exhaust also designed to improve engine note
- New lighter balance shaft weight
- New lithium-ion battery saves 2.3 kg and enhances durability
- Power is smooth and consistent, with linear torque delivery
- Assist/slipper clutch helps upshifts and downshifts
Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Super-fast, seamless gear changes in Manual Transmission (MT) or Automatic D mode
- S mode (with 3 levels) revs higher and downshifts sooner, for aggressive riding
- G switch improves rear wheel traction when off-road
- Incline detection adapts shift pattern depending on road gradient
A full range of genuine Honda accessories are available for the CRF1000L Africa Twin Adventure Sports, including:
- Touring bags
- Rubber pillion footpegs
- DCT foot shifter
- Fog lamps
- Wheel stripes
- Alarm system.
- Centre stand
- Sump guard
- Two types of lower seat
- Tank Bag