2018 AFRICA TWIN
2018 marks 30 years since the legendary Honda XRV650 Africa Twin first rolled into Europe and while the motorcycle that now bears its name.
The machine’s ‘True Adventure’ philosophy means that it fully inherits the essence and spirit of what made the original so popular.
The base model receives a host of detail upgrades to both manual transmission and Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) options that enhance the riding and owning experience, while the new Adventure Sports version extends the platform even further into long-range off-road territory.
- Matt Ballistic Black Metallic
- Pearl Glare White (tricolour)
- Grand prix Red
- Candy Chromosphere Red
- DCT £12,549
- Wet weight 2kg lighter at 230kg (MT version) + new lighter balance shaft weight
- Rider & pillion footpeg hangers redesigned for offroad use
- Instruments repositioned for improved visibility while riding standing up
- Stainless steel spokes improve durability & easy of care
- Assist/slipper clutch helps upshifts & downshifts
- Throttle by wire has 3 rider modes to tailor engine charater
- The riding modes are comprised of different levels of power (P), engine braking (EB) & Honda selectable torque control (HSTC) – HSTC now has 7 levels + off
- New emergency stop signal function for rear indicators
- New intake design & exhaust aid mid-range response + engine note
- New lithium-ion battery save 2.3kg & enhances durability
For 2018, a modified airbox improves the mid-range response, as does a lighter balancer shaft weight. A revised exhaust serves up an even more evocative howl as revs rise and also contributes to the improved performance.
Another significant addition for 2018 is the new Throttle By Wire (TBW) system, which brings with it 3 riding modes to adjust engine character and output to suit riding conditions. Also new is an extended range of Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) input.
The unique DCT (Dual Clutch Transmission) version features the standard manual mode – allowing the rider to operate gearshifts through triggers on the left handlebar – and two automatic modes. D mode offers the best balance of fuel economy and comfort cruising whilst S mode gives three different, sportier shift patterns to choose from. The DCT is also fully equipped to operate in an off-road environment and off-road functionality is enhanced by the G button. Pushing the G button in any riding mode modifies the control of the clutch system to give a more direct drive.
The Africa Twin’s semi-double cradle steel frame provides the perfect balance of high-speed stability and genuine off-road ability by combining sheer strength with flexibility. The engine is mounted on 6 engine hangers, which keeps vibration to a minimum, avoiding the need for steering dampers. For 2018, the addition of a lithium-ion battery contributes to a 2.3kg overall weight saving, while several detail changes further improve the machine’s off-road ability and durability.
The fully adjustable 45mm Showa inverted forks, fully-adjustable rear shock, dual radial-mount Nissin four-piston brake calipers and 310mm ‘wave’ style floating discs are unchanged for 2018. The 21-inch front and 18-inch rear spoked wheels are now constructed from stainless steel, and for 2018 block tyres are also approved for fitment.
Engine management electronics
- TBW brings with it 3 rider modes to tailor engine character and traction
- The riding modes are comprised of different levels of Power (P), Engine Braking (EB) and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC)
- HSTC now has 7 levels and OFF
- New intake design and exhaust aid mid-range response
- New exhaust also designed to improve engine note
- New lighter balance shaft weight
- New lithium-ion battery saves 2.3 kg and enhances durability
- Power is smooth and consistent, with linear torque delivery
- Assist/slipper clutch helps upshifts and downshifts
Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT)
- Super-fast, seamless gear changes in Manual Transmission (MT) or Automatic D mode
- S mode (with 3 levels) revs higher and downshifts sooner, for aggressive riding
- G switch improves rear wheel traction when off-road
- Incline detection adapts shift pattern depending on road gradient
- Wet weight 2kg lighter at 230kg (MT version)
- Rider footepgs and pillion footpeg hangers redesigned for off-road use
- Stainless steel spokes improve durability and ease of care
- New Emergency Stop Signal function for rear indicators
A full range of genuine Honda accessories are available for the CRF1000L Africa Twin, including:
- Top box and inner bags
- Touring bags
- Frame guard
- Smoke screen
- High screen
- Upper and lower wind deflectors
- Rubber pillion footpegs
- DCT foot shifter
- Heated grips
- 12V socket
- Fog lamps with cowl mounting bar
- Wheel stripes
- Alarm system.
- Centre stand
- Sump guard
- Lower and higher seats