All you need to know about eBikes07/06/2019
What is an ebike?
Just like a regular bike, you still need to pedal and steer with the handles. The idea of the electric motor is to assist, not completely replace pedalling. It means that hills and headwind are much more approachable and manageable, meaning you can travel further without getting tired and sweaty – perfect for a morning commute or to tackle that mountain trail all day long!
- Electrically assisted
- Battery and Motor powered
- Full range of styles/types
- Video of ebike in action –www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glDQYO8zwU&t=3s
eBike definition by law
Your steed is an “electrically assisted pedal cycle” (or EAPC, or ebike, or Pedelec) if: the bike has pedals that propel it; the electric motor won’t assist you when you’re travelling more than 25 km/h (15.5mph); and the power doesn’t exceed 250 watts:
- Can be ridden on cycle paths
- Must be over 14 years of age
- Do not need a licence
- No road tax
You may find off-road bikes that can go faster than 15.5 mph by flicking a switch, but for UK law these are not compliant with EAPC regulations for on-road use.
What if my electric bike breaks the rules?
If your ebike doesn’t meet these regulations – either because the motor is more powerful than 250W, or if it assists you when you’re riding more than 15.5 mph – the rules change:
- Cannot be ridden on cycle paths
- Must be approved via DVLA
- You will need a driving licence to ride
- Must be insured and taxed
- You must wear a motorcycle helmet
What about throttle eBikes?
We don’t sell those, but those on the market must adhere to the following:
- Not exceed 3.7mph (i.e. starting assistance only)
- If rolling but not pedalling faster than 3.7mph, the throttle cuts off
- If pedalling, the rider will achieve assistance to the limit – 15.5mph
Use the eBike Range Assistant – www.ktm-bikes.at/en/service/e-bike-range-assistant.html
- Range – These are usually rated or measured in watt hours and indicate how much energy can be stored in the battery. The higher the number of watts, the further you can go between charges. If you’re only going a few hundred metres each day around a flat, well-kept road system, then even the smallest bike batteries will probably suffice. If you intend doing 25 miles a day, with some steep inclines thrown in, then you’ll need premium battery power.
- Charging – Rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries and charging your ebike is as simple as plugging it into a household socket. The time between charges required will vary depending on the size of battery that you have selected and the amount of power assistance you use on your journeys. It may be possible to get 40/50 miles from a single charge.
- Maintenance– It is good to get into the habit of inspecting your bike every six weeks or so to check that the: Tyres are well inflated. Brake cords are tightened. Chain is lubricated. Use a wet lubricant in winter and a dry lubricant in summer. Gears are clean.
- Front Wheel Motors – An affordable option for all. Provide good levels of power for getting around town. Give a steady assistance when climbing hills on trails.
- Rear Wheel Motors – Provide higher levels of assistance from more powerful motors and are perfect for long and steep hills. Are more sensitive to how you ride so provide the power exactly when you need it.
- Mid Mount Motors – Offers better handling and traction. Smooth acceleration and natural feeling pull with power usage. Stealthier appearance, it isn’t always a giveaway that you’re riding an ebike as oppose to a regular push bike.
- Active Line – 250W
- Active Line Plus – 250W
- Performance Line – 250W
- Performance Line CX – 250W
- Powerpack 400 – The PowerPack 400 is a reliable and long-lasting energy storage without memory effect and with minimal self discharge.
- Powerpack 500 – The Bosch PowerPack 500 is with the same size only slightly heavier than the PowerPack 400 and allows longer ranges.
- Powertube 500 – With the PowerTube 500 Bosch sets new standards and presents a reduced, timeless look paired with sophisticated technology.
- Dual Battery (1000W) – Just continue driving: Dual Battery is the perfect solution for Touring biker, long-distance commuter or load cyclists.